Happy Thanksgiving! Let me say how thankful I am for all of you. Thank you for being someone who wants to inspire kids and make meaningful projects possible!
I know many of you will be shopping Black Friday and planning Christmas gifts for your favorite kids. Here are a few ideas.
Build something, visit something, tell stories …
Give an Experience
We’ll be announcing the Spring G-Mites classes soon. Let me know if your child has a special request. Check out the Black Friday deal for Space Camp.
Set the 50% rule
50% of their time on electronics should be sent creating something for others or developing a skill. This could be taking tutorials from Code.org or Udemy or it could be making a Game or App or a 3D model for a cause or competition. I encourage you, if you have not already, ask them to pass a typing test or earn a digital passport on Common Sense Media.
Please, please, read the ratings of any games or media you are buying for children. Common Sense Media lists ratings and reviews for Movies, TV, Books, Apps, and Games.
Building Materials Ages 5+
Piper Computer Kit Ages 8-14 ~ $240
Inside, you will also find our revolutionary learning system that teaches kids engineering and programming through a combination of engaging storyline, physical building, and Raspberry Pi Edition of Minecraft. The kit contains:
● Beautiful, handcrafted wooden computer case with HD LCD display
● Fully functioning computer running on a Raspberry Pi 3 Project Board. 1GB RAM. 1200 MHzQuadCore CPU
● Electronic gadgets including LED lights, buzzers, buttons, switches, sensors and more
● Cables to connect the screen, Pi and 6600 mAh powerbank together
● 8 square foot laminated blueprint explaining how to assemble your Piper Computer
● USB mouse with a retractable cable
● An 8GB SD card that holds your game progress and keeps your creations safe
● Custom Raspberry Pi Edition of Minecraft adventure that you experience by building and programming electronic modules
● Wifi enabled, new downloadable levels, and sharing capabilities
● Free automatic level updates
● It even comes with a Piper Screwdriver!
Circuit Cubes Ages 8-12 ~ $48
Circuit Cubes are electronic blocks that enable kids to add power, motion, and light to their toys or projects. Designed by STEM teachers, Circuit Cubes foster confidence and promote problem-solving skills as kids master the basics of circuitry through hands-on play. With Circuit Cubes, kids can unleash their inner creativity and engage in endless fun.
Cue by Wonder Workshop Ages 11+ ~ $180
Cue is a witty robot with attitude that is powered by breakthrough Emotive AI
- Build your skills with games and challenges and makes programming your own interactive experiences fun for any level
- Choose your favorite avatar and explore an amazing depth of personality, expressions and actions
- Send and receive text messages to share witty comments, memes and funny jokes, keeping you coming back for more.
- Discover a freestyle environment to program robot adventures using cue’s proximity sensors, encoders, gyro, accelerometer, microphones and more.
- Engage Cue’s intelligent auto modes (seek, avoid, and explore) to navigate tight corners or obstacles while expressing personality at every turn.
- Cue is for ages 11+ and works with iOS, Android and Kindle Fire HD 8, 10). 2017 SILVER PARENTS CHOICE AWARD WINNER!
Feel the Force as you fight for galactic peace with the Lenovo Star Wars™: Jedi Challenges AR headset. It works with an iOS or Android smartphone to enable the game app, letting you engage in virtual Jedi duels. This Lenovo Star Wars™: Jedi Challenges AR headset includes a lightsaber controller and a tracking beacon to arm you for battle.
Coach a STEM Competition Team or Badge Experience
Grow a Generation is looking for teachers and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) enthusiasts to teach summer camps and afterschool workshops.
Choose an already developed curriculum or develop your own for grades 9-12, 6-8, or 3-5. Work with earnest students working hard to develop meaningful projects with tools from the cutting edge of STEM opportunities and 21st century skills. You control the age group and class size.
Questions can be directed to [email protected] Be bold! Apply with a creative idea.